From European operators refute Japanese content model:

"While DoCoMo famously takes only a 10% cut of billings for i-mode services, leaving the content providers 90%, European operators say they need more if they are to cover costs in a more fragmented market."

Can anyone explain to me how the European telecomms market is more fragmented than the Asian one, and why this engenders higher costs? I'm not sure what, exactly, they're referring to here.