Some challenges of ubicomp:
- Invisibility: things may not be immediately apparent and will need signposting.
- Heterogenity: things need to work together seamlessly.
- Ownership: users of infrastructure don't own it.
- Cultural bias: designers add their own bias to designs.
- Decay: what do we do with old or decommissioned sensors?
One response to these challenges is playfulness:
- Seamfulness: deliberately exposing the existence of ubicomp sensors, say - e.g. by exposing the range of CCTV cameras to ensure people know where they're being watched.
- Ambiguity to draw attention or provoke questions about how people experience the environment;
- Learning from accidents, not just positive perspectives. Better can be worse sometimes.
- Technological messiness shouldn't be ignored
- Little works has been done on this
- We should understand how malfunctions can be communicated
See also the talk Fabien did at LIFT07