Surely if very close to 50% of the population of a country disagree fundamentally over a long period with the other near-50%, then it's worth considering splitting into 2 countries and avoiding the tyranny of the majority?

I mean, what sort of mandate does 51% of the vote give you over the other 49% who didn't vote for you?